How to Setup your own Radio Station

Ever thought about streaming media (audio/video) over the internet so that your friends can listen to your favorite music playlists? Well, few months before I talked about streaming audio and video over the LAN/Intranet but today I am going to discuss about setting up a Radio Station so that any one can stream audio over the internet. (You can use this technique for streaming videos or your webcam outputs as well)

Basic Requirements

1.) Window Media Encoder 9Get it from here.

2.) Music Source – You can use your CD player output or simply few audio files stored on your computer. Music source can be generated by many other means as well like MP3 player or other similar audio devices.

3.) Selected Port Forwarding by Router – This is most important. Not many of us know how to configure Router to forward the selected port. But don’t worry, I’ll provide you the detailed guide to this problem. First, you should know about your Router manufacturer name. After that, visit this page for step-by-step guides on how to setup port forwarding. (Scroll down to that page and you will see list of all possible routers. Select the name of your router and it will take you to the next page. Find the “Default Guide” link on that new page and click on it to get the detailed information.)

Initially, even I was not aware of how to forward ports but thanks to Madhur who helped me in doing this. Later on, I found the above mentioned site for learning to forward ports on all types of Routers.

Now when you are done with all basic requirements, let’s move to actually configuring our system so that we can able to successfully set up our own radio station.

Configurations

1.) Choose any Port number of your choice and program your router to forward your selected port to your main computer. I chose 2300 at my port number.

2.) Open Windows Media Encoder

3.) Select “Broadcast a live event“.

4.) Uncheck the “Video” checkbox and enable “Audio” checkbox. Now from the drop down list choose your Sound Card and click on “Next“.

5.) Select “Pull from the encoder“.

6.) Enter the Port Number you selected before. In my case its 2300 and I have programmed my router to forward the same port number. (Don’t forget this. It’s very important)

7.) Now comes another important part- “How you want to encode your audio?”

Let’s understand first what does it actually mean. The higher the bit rate, the better will be the quality of the streaming audio. But there is always a certain limit. Suppose you have a Broadband connection of 256 Kbps and you choose 135 Kbps as your desired Bit Rate. If you get 2 listeners who connect at the same time, they will occupy 270kb and your bandwidth maximum limit gets exceeded. You certainly don’t want to do that. Right?

So, its better you choose “Multiple bit rates audio (CBR)” that gives you option at the time of streaming, to select from multiple bit rates (9, 11, 13, 15 and so on) depending upon the users connected or willing to connect to your radio station.

8.) DO NOT select “Archive”. Leave it as it is and click on “Next”.

9.) Enter a Title, Author and other information for your Radio Station.

10.) Finally, click “Finish“.

11.) Now if you are using a CD player as an audio source, plug the output of CD player to AUX input of the streaming server computer (the BLUE jack) and start playing your music in the player.

OR, if you want the audio files from your server computer to be streamed then carry on with the following steps:-

• In the Media Encoder select View -> Source Panel.
  • A small window of “Sources” should appear inside it. Click the down arrow and select “Properties…”
  • Under “Source from:” option select “File“, and then browse to the actual location of your audio file.
  • Under “At end:” option select from the drop down list “Roll over to next source“.
  • Add another source and do the same. You can add as many as you want. Just don’t forget to choose the correct “At end:” option.
  • Finally, click on “Apply”

12.) Click the “Start Encoding” button.

Your computer will now be acting as a server of streaming Radio Station.

How to Listen to your Radio Station?

Go to http://www.whatismyip.com and you will get your External IP address from there.

Now, ask you friend who want to connect to your Radio station to do the following:-

Example: - Suppose your IP is 192.166.217.134 (this should be the same IP which you get from whatsmyip.com website) and the port number you selected earlier is 2300. So the complete URL should be mms://192.166.217.134:2300/

That’s it you are done. Hope you like the tutorial. If you encounter any problem during the whole process just share it with us through comments section and I’ll try to solve those as soon as possible.

37 Responses to “How to Setup your own Radio Station”

1. ArpitNext says:

I never expected that this can be done !

I’ll surely try and will report if got any problem !

ArpitNext’s last blog post… Two Cool Ways to Download YouTube Videos

Just try it, Arpit and let me know your experience.

3. Steve Yu says:

OMG, what a long and detailed tutorial! I’ll give it a try when I can find time. :D

Steve Yu’s last blog post… Convert Your Image to Icon Directly from the Web With Bradicon

4. [...] Few months back, I thought of streaming audio over my own college LAN. After few hiccups, I made it running successfully over the network. This tutorial is meant only for streaming AUDIO over the LAN or Intranet. Currently, I am working on streaming audio over the internet as well. I’ll post that too as soon as I resolve that issue. (UPDATES:- Finally, I manage to stream audio over the Internet. It is working perfectly for most of us. Check here.) [...]

5. uisjob says:

My router is 4G system, So could you please tell me how to make port Forwarding in my router. (or give me general configuration of port forwarding)

@uisjob
    I’ll tell you how I have configured my own router. Perhaps, you can take some reference from that and try configuring it on your own router.

Visit this link.

7. uisjob says:

Thank you Mr.Rakshit. My Radio is working good. I’m expecting “Internet Radio”.

Good to know that. Enjoy!!!
    :-)

9. Ajay says:

that’s a real good guide. after reading this post i think people will stop searching radio station over internet.

@Ajay

Streaming Radio Stations has got different spice with RJs speaking day and night. Of course, you can also become a RJ and entertain your listeners anytime. ;-)

11. warlock says:

This is a nice tutorial..

can I recommend this to my friends?

and can I share this to blog site to my friends?

im gonna support this site.

keep up the good works rakshit! you rak! :D

12. Thanks for the tutorial. I didnt know it was so easy to achieve with Windows Media Encoder. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

13. Cody says:

How about just simplify the whole process and download and install orb.

14. I’m using a broadband, but can’t broadcast through internet, only on LAN. I’ve disable firewall and internet setting. how to configure the router. modem ZTE HSDPA USB MODEM. help me

15. ljp123 says:

I’ve always wanted to do this! Thanks for the great tutorial, it worked fine with my USB modem, skipping port forwarding.

I was wondering though would you be able to have a radio station where multiple users could control it, but at one adress?

16. moin says:

great article, you must’ve put hours in it and it turned out very good ofcourse.

17. [...] Rakshit talks about technology in his blog.His tag line “Not just a blog but my 2nd home | The technology inside” does potray his enthusiasm about technology. One of my favorite post include: How to setup your radio station [...]

18. [...] 18-Aarambh tells you how to setup your own radio station [...]

19. iCalvyn says:

can this take up our website bandwidth or CPU processing load?

20. James says:

Hi, I found your blog on this new directory of WordPress Blogs at blackhatbootcamp.com/listofwordpressblogs. I dont know how your blog came up, must have been a typo, i duno. Anyways, I just clicked it and here I am. Your blog looks good. Have a nice day. James.

21. [...] 18-Aarambh tells you how to setup your own radio station [...]

22. web talk says:

great tutorial. a little too tricky for my tastes since it involves some knowledge which is not that common but anyway it doesnt look like that difficult!

web talk’s last blog post… Windows Vista doesn’t shut down

23. RANDHIR BATSH says:

Hi rakshitk, I m a coll. student and want start college radio for 700 student so plz give me full step-by step knowledge of this …for select a port that my friends can connect through. it has to bea part that my internet provider does not block and that isn’t being forwarded elsewhere on my network.
    thanx for make this blog…..
    Randhir batsh

24. Vikram says:

@Rakshit, That is a good point you made of speaking like a RJ between the songs. Being your own station one can practice his/her RJ’ing skills and will have the liberty to express views, will help learn from their mistakes if they looking to be a future RJ.As there will be no ads or voiceovers good for listeners. One has to take care adjusting the streaming rate of the bandwidth to avoid uninterruted buffering/streaming.

Vikram’s last blog post… AdapterWatch: Displays Network Adapters information

25. daniel says:

hi, nice!
    but think about the vulnerability of media encoder.
    i have used shoutcast server once a time, and if you are a good dj, you can use traktor dj studio live mixing with Icecast Streaming Media Server….awesome, bests, dan

daniel’s last blog post… The List of Well Known Online Image Processing Editors

26. Vida says:

Im using the net over the years until i read your article and learn about setting up a radio station which i never thought of before even if i have the software needed. Thanks to you.

27. wickednix says:

I have a police scanner at home and just figured out how to broadcast it over the internet and listen to it live on my iPhone. I’m using Shoutcast and Winamp. Works great!
    Someone should write an iPhone app for internet police scanners.

28. krish says:

Hi friends ,well can anybody suggest me about setting up a Radio Station like RADIO MIRCHI etc. to entire district..????
    i m very serious about it.Please if u can give me…then mail me

29. Msd Masig says:

i want to encode audio using wireless broadband, until now im not successful, i want ot know if this wireless broadband is okey for this application, pls help. many thank

30. Saket says:

Brilliant!!
    I have successfully done..after reading the post,also i tried video streaming it was working great.
    For those who want their video files to stream..use virtual camera software(i used manycam).
    Thanks again,i have bookmarked ur site and will try other tricks too.

31. I have to say, nice writing skills wordsmith

32. Katey says:

Wow, cool post! Could fun to start my own radio station…

33. Val says:

Hey, thanks this is a good website!!

34. Amir says:

Can someone please help me. I been trying to set up my Window Media Player to play music through on my internet radio station, I been trying for 2months to set up this station I need help.

35. Panas says:

ok but if someone wants to listen to my radio station he must do all this steps in windows media player, ????
    can anyone tell me how to put my radio station in my blog?

36. Angel Baker says:

i always watch streaming videos online, they are sort of my past time.;:”

37. Amit Kumar says:

Rakshit Sir,
    I m a b.tech student and i have used media encoder for streaming several times.
    You forget to mention about Windows Encoder capacity…
    Windows encoder can support only 5 connections.
    If you its registry then it will work for max 50 connections..
    what after 50 connections…..

But good for only testers…..

I m trying 4 video streaming on LAN for more than 200 connections at a time plz suggest somthing about this concept…..