How to configure PIDGIN to work with Google Talk

For all those who don’t know what PIDGIN is, here is a brief description:-

Pidgin is an instant messaging program for Windows, Linux, BSD, and other Unixes. It is a multi-protocol Instant Messaging client that allows you to use all of your IM accounts at once. You can talk to your friends using AIM, ICQ, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Google Talk, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr.

Pidgin can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AIM, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.

Let’s now move towards the main topic. How to configure Pidgin to work with Google Talk?

It’s pretty easy and simple. Just follow the below mentioned steps. Also, consult the Pidgin setup window Screen Shot for better clarification.

1- Get the latest version of Pidgin and Install it on your computer.
2- Select “Accounts“-> “Manage“-> “Add

This will open a new window- “Add Account”

3- From the drop down box choose XMPP as the Protocol.
4- In case of Screen name enter your Gmail Id (e.g. – raks.khare).
5- Type gmail.com as the Domain/Server.
6- In Resource Field enter Home.
7- Type your Gmail Password in the Password Field.
8- Choose any Nickname (e.g. – Rakshit) as Local alias.

That’s it you are almost then.

Now, if you are behind a proxy server that is blocking Pidgin to connect to Internet and to log in your account, just follow the below mentioned steps. I am sure you’ll be able to run Pidgin freely like I do.

Click on the “Advanced” tab in Add/Modify Account window and do the following:-

1- Force old (port 5223) SSL: Checked
2- Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams: Un-Checked
3- Connect Port: 443
4- Connect Server: talk.google.com
5- Proxy Type: Choose your protocol and enter desired proxy settings. In my case it’s HTTP, Host: 127.0.0.1 and Port: 4001. If you don’t know about this, select Proxy Type as “Use Global Proxy Settings”.

You are done. Now, you can use Pidgin as much as you like.

My next post will put more light on this great little instant messaging program. I will use Pidgin to identify whether anyone has blocked me on Google Talk or not. Strange, right? So far, there is no such feature in Google Talk. But, I say, why use Google Talk if we have other better alternatives?

68 Responses to “How to configure PIDGIN to work with Google Talk”

1. Seeni says:

This information is great…….

Thanks, Seeni for commenting on my blog. I appreciate that.

3. sHanKy says:

hey nice tip…..but not able to use it as my college i hav proxy server…..so i configure pidgin according to tht proxy server but its not connecting…..plz. help…..

@Shanky, you must be having HTTP proxy server in your college.
    Right?

Please make sure that the connecting IP address and port number is correct. This connection settings should be same as that of your browser’s connection settings.

After entering all required data, just restart PIDGIN and it should get connected. If it’s not then may be your network firewall is blocking it. In that case you got to bypass that firewall, visit this link.

5. jai says:

It’s really imaging.
    I can copy Image of Google talk also trought.
    It change my life.

6. tanuj says:

how can i check that if my friend has logged in on Gtalk under invisible mode ??

Tanuj, their is no solution to this problem as of today. Keep checking Aarambh for latest updates. If I able to find it out, I’ll post it here for sure.

8. Marisol says:

Thanks a lot! I was having the proxy problem, but thanks to this tip I was finally able to connect ;)

9. LAv says:

Hey there, thanks for the tip…i didnt know this software existed. and now that i am using it, i think its awesome!

@Lav

Great that you liked it.
    Enjoy!!!
    :-)

11. Tin says:

I’m using Pidgin on my work pc and I was able to work before but not recently. I get the error below.

Connection Failed

Pidgin will not attempt to reconnect the account until you correct the error and re-enable the account.

@Tin

Try using the latest version of Pidgin and in case you using the same, just uninstall and reinstall it again. It should work fine.

13. ravi says:

hi rakshit u seem to hold quite a lot of info nd u have a nice blog
    can u tell me easily how can i know whether my friend has blocked me or not nd whether she is reading my mails which i send to her or not
    coz i am receiving that ur message has been sent from my saide but she doent replies to that
    so can i know that she is actually reading my mails or not which i send

14. ravi says:

hey rakshit its quite gud
    i hav downloaded that pidgin nd done exactly as above procedure
    nd i can get the details nd the photo
    that means the other person didnt blocked me
    so thts really nice
    how did u learned abt so much info
    keep it up
    nd do welll

@Ravi

Even if you are blocked by someone, you can always send mails to them. Replying to your mails or not is totally up to the person to whom that mail was sent. But your mails will always be delivered to the recipient.

Anyways, good to know that you liked my blog. Hoping to see you more on Aarambh.
    :-)

16. ravi says:

actually rakshit even mails can be filtered and deleted before the other person can read them if they are blocked in gmail.so in that case mailing them with some other id is better.
    but is it the same method for yahoo or anyother also to check whether we r blocked or not.

17. sadia says:

this info is great but the thing is i m trying to download pidgin but there is a high security alert for it what can i do now!

18. puneet kandpal says:

thanku buddy u hav hlpd in mah luv lfe .thenk u thenku thanku ………u r d bst

19. gerad says:

Hi,

I am still not able to connect…the error message now says “SSL connection failed”. I am working in an office, and I’m pretty sure I am behind a firewall and proxy…my MSN works in Pidgin but somehow can’t get GoogleTalk to work.

@Gerad

“SSL connection failed” usually comes when you are using wrong proxy settings. Just make sure that under the “Proxy Options”, you are typing in correct host address and port number.

Also, proxy type which you are selecting is correct.

Don’t forget to check “Force old SSL” option as well.

21. chris says:

I only leave ports open for “Common” services.

80 443 110 25 are just a few, the higher ones that are un-common and not needed are closed.

If you have some one smarter then you maintaning security you are exposing your self to them.

I also lock accounts from adding software to keep a clean system so no one can add software that is NOT needed on a company ASSET.

Personal computers are blocked with MAC filtering so they can not even get an IP to go out.

Sorry work is where I pay you not to have fun. And some places make you sign a agreement that if you circumvent the network you can be JAILED.

22. Khalid says:

In our country only voice chat is blocked, IM is working text chatting working ,
    How i can enable voice chat, pls let know

Thanks in Advance

Khalid

23. devshree says:

hi rakshit
    i downloaded pidgin…. earlier it was working fine…..but i formatted my computer……and when i installed it again it didn’t show the buddy list and says SSL connection failed…….i read ur reply to an earlier post regarding SSL connection but how do i get to know the details about my proxy server?Plz reply soon

24. devshree says:

Moreover……i m use my own system……..so i don’t think there is any issue of proxy server…..i think the issue is something else.

@devshree

Are you having Broadband connection to connect to Internet? Check your Internet Explorer connection settings, you will get to know proxy and other details. If its not present then it means you are not using any proxy to connect to internet. In that case just select “Direct Connection” in PIDGIN.

26. Elaine says:

regarding using Pidgin to check whether someone has blocked you on google chat… does Adium work the same way?

27. javed says:

its great and fantastic, thanks dude enjoy ur life.

javed’s last blog post… A new change in SAT implemented…

28. Unblock Me says:

Just wanted to thank you for a really good post. I found it quite useful and will check your site often.

29. Nitesh says:

Its simply awesome ……it really works ……is there a way to unblock yourself if someone has blocked you ?

30. neeru says:

Rakshit it is great if someone has blocked you..but if your gtlak/gmail chat contact has deleted you what happens then? Will Pidgin show his/her information in that case or not? look forward to a quick reply..

@neeru

Pidgin will show his/her information if your contact has deleted you. If you delete your friend from your contact list, still your friend will see your status whether online/offline. But if you block your friend then he/she will not be able to track your status. In this case only pidgin will not show any information. Other than that whether you delete it or do anything with your contact list, Pidgin will always show contact information.

I hope I am clear, if not, just feel free to get back to me. :-)

32. Aman says:

thanks for settings

33. nansy says:

Thanks for this post..my pidgin messenger is now working.

34. Erika says:

Rakshit – what do I need to enter under file transfer proxies: as a defualt I have proxy.jabber.org.

Should I leave as it is? cauz its not working.

Thanks!

35. sai says:

what is the next step after downloading the latest version of pidgin.. please let me know the step wise procedure..

36. Julio Flores says:

hehe , subscribing to this blog . cheers

Julio Flores’s last blog post… Lost Season 3 (Fall)

37. Ja says:

Hi,

could you pls tell me why i dont get my buddy list? I get msg, however, that my gmail is not authorized. I have tried to change proxy as you suggested but there is no info about proxy neither in my internet option not in internet connections.

could you pls advise me what can i do else to make pidgin works with my google talk account?
    thx
    ja

38. Rits says:

Hi All,

I have noted quite lately that pidgin doesn’t report status log info correctly… (may be this is due a bug fix by google and god know what !)… I have been using pidgin 2.5.2 and it used to always report correct status… i.e. if someone is in invisible mode .. it would say ‘changed status from offline to offline’ and same this applies even if the user log on to gmail with chat turned off etc… but now what I noticed is that it doesn’t report anything about that user…eben if that person is logged on gmail wihout chat option enabled or has logged on in invisible mode… more over I remember that if i blocked someone then it always used to report for that user “changed status from offline to offline” but now it doesn’t and as soon as I unblock that contact it shows the required status in the log file (i.e. I do understand that if i block someone then to check if that person is still on then i would re-start my pidgin s/w) but damn this doesn’t work now ! what the hell!… I hope the way we use GetInfo is working correctly to inform if the user had blocked me or not! Guys please check in this functionality and post it

39. Hrishikesh says:

Hi Rakshit,

Thanks for publishin such writins. Keep it up!!!

Cheers!

Hrishi
    00971 50 7192643

40. Ms says:

Hey am getting SSL connection failed and am behind a proxy server. Even after giving the proxy setting it doesnt work nor with global proxy settings. Pls help

41. Rajeswari says:

When i run the pidgin.exe file it showing error report and i couldnt use this file. Im using my office laptop, will it impacting because of the firewall which has been used by our IT team.

42. teChGeEk says:

I am really thankful to you. The information helped me a lot.Now i am enjoying pidgin.
    Can you help with me configuring psi. I am not able to connect gmail account from psi.

43. Michael says:

great, thanks for publishing this!

44. Rick says:

wow. i have never used PIDGIN but it seems really cool. lemme give a try

-rick

45. Rocko says:

Hi Rakshit.. Ur comments look cool… I just started using Pigdin and am able to connect to Yahoo but not to Gtalk.. Its saying Host unknown… Why is that?.. Please help..

46. priyanka chatterjee says:

Great man!!!
    I was trying so hard read the google page help and so many blogs but your tip worked like a miracle.
    I hav a http proxy server in my college and now I can use pidgin in ubuntu….thanxx a lot.

47. Sanchit says:

great information dude

plz can u also tell me about repositories in ubuntu.m new to linux

48. robin says:

hi i have no buddies show when pull do i have to import or export from google talk?
    what didnt i do correctly in set up they didnt merge from googlr talk to pidgin? thank you

49. tejas says:

Hi..

I am on my office network.. When trying to configue under advanced setting, also seen an option of file transfer proxies & BOSH Url.

Default in “file transfer proxies” is “proxy.eu.jabber.org”

What details i have to fill in these 2 additional option which is nowhere expalined above.

Need ur help to make gtalk online.

50. Pj says:

hey thanks alot….i configured my pidgin using your posts and help….