How to configure PIDGIN to work with Google Talk

For all those who don’t know what PIDGIN is, here is a brief description:-

Pidgin is an instant messaging program for Windows, Linux, BSD, and other Unixes. It is a multi-protocol Instant Messaging client that allows you to use all of your IM accounts at once. You can talk to your friends using AIM, ICQ, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Google Talk, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr.

Pidgin can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AIM, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.

Let’s now move towards the main topic. How to configure Pidgin to work with Google Talk?

It’s pretty easy and simple. Just follow the below mentioned steps. Also, consult the Pidgin setup window Screen Shot for better clarification.

1- Get the latest version of Pidgin and Install it on your computer.
2- Select “Accounts“-> “Manage“-> “Add

This will open a new window- “Add Account”

3- From the drop down box choose XMPP as the Protocol.
4- In case of Screen name enter your Gmail Id (e.g. – raks.khare).
5- Type gmail.com as the Domain/Server.
6- In Resource Field enter Home.
7- Type your Gmail Password in the Password Field.
8- Choose any Nickname (e.g. – Rakshit) as Local alias.

That’s it you are almost then.

Now, if you are behind a proxy server that is blocking Pidgin to connect to Internet and to log in your account, just follow the below mentioned steps. I am sure you’ll be able to run Pidgin freely like I do.

Click on the “Advanced” tab in Add/Modify Account window and do the following:-

1- Force old (port 5223) SSL: Checked
2- Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams: Un-Checked
3- Connect Port: 443
4- Connect Server: talk.google.com
5- Proxy Type: Choose your protocol and enter desired proxy settings. In my case it’s HTTP, Host: 127.0.0.1 and Port: 4001. If you don’t know about this, select Proxy Type as “Use Global Proxy Settings”.

You are done. Now, you can use Pidgin as much as you like.

My next post will put more light on this great little instant messaging program. I will use Pidgin to identify whether anyone has blocked me on Google Talk or not. Strange, right? So far, there is no such feature in Google Talk. But, I say, why use Google Talk if we have other better alternatives?

68 Responses to “How to configure PIDGIN to work with Google Talk”

1. Drakonas says:

hey, I noticed there are a couple posts asking for the file transfer settings. I need this as well. I am tired of having to actually run the true Gtalk every time my friend wants to send me a file. This would really be appreciated. And, if you don’t know how, please at least post that you don’t, because we’re sitting here waiting for an answer, whether good or bad.

2. Andrew Smith says:

Thanks, works a treat! :-D

3. J. Ochalek says:

Thanks Rakshit for the very useful information, I just installed Adium for Macintosh and now I have all my accounts organized in one multi-protocol program, later I’ll configure Pidging to work with my laptop (PC). I love both programs!. I’m bookmarking your Blog for future reference. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

J.R. Ochalek.

4. Raghu says:

Thank you ! It is working, and is such a relief. Good post !

5. Misha says:

the first guide that actually works

6. Piyush says:

hey i did the above steps and was confused about the port settings…pls help…in my university all chat servers are blocked and proxies do not work even…if u have got some solution then pls help me out…

7. Aditya says:

Hi
    Whenever i am trying to connect to pidgin,an error is coming “SSL connection failed”.I have used Proxy type as”HTTP” as well as ” Use global proxy setting” .Then also i am unable to connect.

8. Shashank says:

This really works guys,,, thanks for this information…
    Actually this is what I was searching for.
    Now I can come to know who is invisible and who is really offline…
    really thanks a lot lot & lot…..

9. Sam says:

Thanks a lot buddy!

10. BG says:

Thank! guy!…! and i want you to let me share this post in my language on other site!…! i know you will cos i have done it! … ! :D thank you big big!

11. Nora says:

Hello Thanks for this info but I have question please! I downloaded this software and I did as the instruction says but I don’t see anybody on my list? Nobody from my gtalk are showing on there. Basically my Buddies is WHITE EMPTY..everytime I try going to Show> offlines buddies noting show! and it’s the same for the buddy details, etc. What should I do for it to show?
    PLEASE HELP ME.Thanks

12. Manoj says:

Dear Rakshit,

I have tried to check buddies who are offline but for all i am not getting the details for some i am getting this error ” Error retrieving profile
    This profile is in a language or format that is not supported at this time.

View web profile”

Kindly comment on this

13. Denis Kimani says:

Hi guys, I have encountered a serious hinge on my pidgin contacts. I have been chatting with this guy and suddenly one day a “no entry sign” appeared. I cannot chat because its telling me that “XMPP Message Error
    Message delivery to ***@gmail.com failed: (Code 503)”
    I have tried experimenting with other of my gmail accounts like blocking and the messages are going! could it be that he probably closed the account for good?

please respond ASAP. Thanks

14. Smriti says:

Thanks So much, it worked for me!!

15. hashem says:

my problem solved by your note: talk.google.com

16. thilina says:

Great. Thnx a lot. It worked

17. sambababa says:

good one. Thank you.

18. Aan says:

Thanks So much, it worked for me!!